Asian-Style Braised Short Ribs
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 Pounds boneless short rib steak, cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 Thai chiles, halved
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- One 3-inch piece ginger, minced
- 1/2 Cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon chopped mint, for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
In creating the sauce for these short ribs, I aimed for a balance of sweet, salty, spicy, and tanginess that's so crucial in many Southeast Asian dishes. The brown sugar, soy sauce, Thai chiles, and vinegar all come together to create a harmony of flavors that's wonderful and delicious.
See all braising recipes.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Heat the canola oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the short ribs and sear on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, chiles, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove the short ribs to a plate with a slotted spoon.
In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and brown sugar. Add the mixture together with the short ribs and their juices to the pan. Cover with a lid, place in the oven, and braise until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 ½ hours.
Let the short ribs cool in their liquid. Place in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, skim off any solidified fat at the top, and drain the meat and vegetables, reserving the cooking liquid.
Transfer the cooking liquid back to the sauté pan and reduce over high heat for 15 minutes. Add the cornstarch, stir, and cook until thickened, about 1 more minute. Place the meat and vegetables back in the pan to reheat briefly, and serve garnished with the mint and cilantro.
Calories per serving:715 calories
Dietary restrictions:Dairy Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free