- Worcestershire sauce introduced (1937)
Are These America's Worst Supermarkets?
Recipe of the day
- Russia Destroys 3,306 Pounds of Food Meant for the BMW Racing Team
- Dole CEO Found Liable for $148 Million in Conspiracy to Orchestrate Cheaper Buyout
- Pizza Hut Is Now the ‘Official Pizza’ of ESPN Fantasy Football
- 12 Arrested in $2 Million Food Stamp Fraud Ring: ‘This Operation Has Tentacles to Other States’
- American Farm Incomes Expected to Drop 36 Percent, Lowest in Nearly a Decade
We all have a love-hate relationship with the supermarket. But anyone who’s shopped at more than one knows that some are much better than others. Every year, Consumer Reports releases a list of the best and worst supermarkets, and these are the worst.
There are plenty of factors that can make a supermarket experience miserable. It can be crowded, with narrow isles, there could be a long line to check out, advertised specials can be out of stock, and they might simply not stock the particular item you’re looking for. Consumer Reports asked their more than 27,000 subscribers to weigh in on these factors for the country’s 55 largest grocery store chains, and the results might surprise you.
At the top of the list was east-coast chain Wegmans, which earned 88 out of 100 points. Trader Joe’s scored 87, and Publix and Costco scored 84. A third of respondents told the magazine that high prices, long waits, low food quality, and crummy selection forced them to switch allegiances in the past year, but even though they might not be perfect, consumers visited the supermaket an average of 1.6 times per week in 2013, according to the Food Marketing Institute.
#13 Giant Eagle
This chain, which has locations in Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Indiana, scored a 73.
Safeway’s higher-end arm, which boasts full-service banks, pharmacies, dry cleaners, and copy centers, has locations in California and Nevada. It got a “neutral” score for service, courteousness, and price satisfaction, with a score of 73.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts