Apricot Compote with Scotch Whisky and Ice Cream
- 1 1/4 Pound ripe apricots, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup sugar, preferably organic
- 1/3 Cup blended Scotch whisky or cognac
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Lemon balm or mint leaves, for garnish
- Sautéed Beet Greens with Cumin, Lemon Zest, and Crispy Fried Garlic
- Banana Bread with Brazil Nuts and Dark Chocolate Swirls
- Almond Scones
- Boston Lettuce and Radish Salad with Grilled Fingerling Potatoes
- Marinated Feta with Pan-Roasted Shishito Peppers and Olives
- Basil Pesto
- Cannellini Bean Dip with Pan-Fried Mint
- Carrot Cake with Cardamom, Currants, and Ginger-Crème Fraîche Chantilly
- Baby Kale Salad with Kumquats and Sesame Vinaigrette
Once I have my fill of eating apricots on their own, I like to make a quick compote with them. Served with ice cream, it becomes an elegant dessert for a dinner party. But it’s also incredibly delicious with yogurt, with a slice of pound cake, or even for breakfast on top of pancakes.
Place the apricot slices in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed pan. Add the lemon juice and sugar and heat over medium-high heat. Stir well and simmer vigorously for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apricots will release their juices and the sauce will become foamy. Remove from the heat, add the whiskey, and stir well. Transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
Scoop the ice cream into dessert bowls. Top with the apricot compote. Garnish with a lemon balm or mint leaf. Serve immediately.
Note: The compote can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts