60 Hybrid Foods Worth Knowing
Chicken and waffles is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Recipe of the day
- Beyoncé Poured a Bottle of Crazy-Expensive Champagne Into a Hot Tub and People Are Freaking Out
- A New ‘Breaking Bad’ Bar in London Lets You Don Gas Masks and ‘Cook’ Your Own Cocktails
- Bill Murray Jumps Out of a Cake for His Last David Letterman Appearance
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony Rapper Saves Man Who Lost Control of His Car While in Diabetic Distress
- As ‘Mad Men’ Ends, Coca-Cola’s Iconic ‘I’d Like to Buy the World a Coke’ Is Don Draper’s Legacy
The world thrives on diversity. We need options, combinations, and variations — otherwise we risk living a rather mundane existence. One of the realms where see the most variety is in the food world. Whether we're home cooks or renowned chefs, we are notorious for experimenting in the kitchen to create foods that will wow and intrigue our palates. These amazing combinations and crossbreeds create hybrid foods and dishes that make life worth tasting.
A hybrid is defined as the blending of multiple animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, and genera, to result in a specific outcome. Researchers in the food world have been playing with hybrid blends for centuries, and those combinations have inspired dozens of sub-categories in an effort to hone and create the perfect blend of flavors and sensations.
There is so much buzz around interesting combinations, we thought it would be fun to point out some of the culinary options out there for your curious taste buds — whether they occur in nature, in a petri dish, or just in an inventive kitchen. Of course, keep in mind we're using the term "hybrid" to mean everything from cross-bred fruits developed over decades by botanists and orchardists to fast-food mashups probably first conceived by ravenous kids at 3 in the morning.
From delicious combinations like the Cronut to the complex breeding of the Dekopon fruit, check out these 60 amazing foods worth knowing about!
This article was originally published October 10, 2013.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts