5 Delicious Southern-Inspired Vegan Recipes
Easy and delicious Southern dishes — vegan style
Today on The Daily Meal
You might be thinking…what exactly is a Southern-inspired recipe, anyway? It turns out the answer to that question is more complex than one might think.
The South is perhaps best known for a few distinctive items like fried chicken, grits, BBQ, cornbread, hush puppies, boiled peanuts, and fried green tomatoes. But in general, Southern fare is characterized by a lot of fried foods in general, fried meats in particular, and the use of animal fats for flavoring. Not sounding too healthy or vegan-friendly, right?
The key here, though, is inspired. Many of the recipes below feature traditionally Southern elements or ingredients, but have been veganized and often concurrently made healthier through the use of wholesome plant-based ingredients.
So check out these twelve delicious, Southern-inspired recipes – vegan style.
More From One Green Planet:
- [Recipe]: Vidalia Onion Mini Cornbread Muffins
- [Recipe]: Smoky Pumpkin Grits with Maple-Roasted Pepitas
- [Recipe]: Pineapple Jack BBQ Sandwiches and a Beer
- [Recipe]: Crispy Seitan
- [Recipe]: Black-eyed Pea and Spinach Cakes
- [Recipe]: Pimento Cheese Spread
- [Recipe]: Grandma's Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Be a Part of the Conversation
Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).