- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
10 Easy Salad Recipes Worthy of a Meal
Rachel Gaffney shows the steps to this delicious salad
Recipe of the day
It takes a lot of imagination to make a salad interesting these days. Gone are the days when "rocket" was an "exotic" green and the only thing you would use kale for was lining the bottom of platters of shell-on shrimp and crab legs at the raw bar.
But more interesting isn't always better; think of all the salads that just had too many ingredients and too much going on. Were they interesting? Sure. Were they enjoyable eating experiences? Probably not.
That's why this week, we're considering the salad. Carefully. With respect, love, and attention. And what did we come up with? Well, here's a small taste of what's in store.
- Here's a recipe that we've all been waiting for all winter: Jessica Chou's Shaved Asparagus Salad.
- Not another Caesar salad, you say? But hear us out: Jim Love, author of the blog Be Mindful Be Human, certainly takes a mindful approach to this classic, and the results are fantastic.
- Also not to be missed, of course, is the winning recipe this week: Mediterranean Quinoa Salad by Lisa and Anna, Culinary Content Network members and co-authors of the blog Garnish with Lemon.
All of the recipes featured here can be made at home for about $27 or less, excluding the cost of small amounts of basic ingredients such as butter, oil, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and other dried herbs and spices.
Will Budiaman is the Recipe Editor at The Daily Meal. Follow him on Twitter @WillBudiaman.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts